[Qgis-user] Startup error and missing directories under Fedora 36

John Dougherty jwd at surewest.net
Mon Jul 18 15:37:11 PDT 2022

QGis / Python error:

Running QGis on Linux, Fedora 36, QGis is looking for a nonexistent
directory(ies)

 On start up of QGis 3.26 (Buenos Aires) I receive the
following error message:

2022-07-18T15:16:48     WARNING    Python error : Couldn't load plugin
'MetaSearch' due to an error when calling its classFactory() method See
message log (Python Error) for more details.

Looking in the Python error list reveals a long list of errors that all
come down to Python routines apparently looking for key elements in
a non-existent directory(ies):

  ImportError: cannot import name 'soft_unicode' from 'markupsafe'
  (/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/markupsafe/__init__.py)

and

  /app/share/qgis/python/qgis

Since this error does not appear under windows 10, it seems to be
something about the way my system is configured.  I can find no
indication of "/app" as a standard directory in any Linux release, nor
is there a "markupsafe" directory under
"/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages".

Any help would be welcome.

JWDougherty