[Qgis-user] Convert huge shapefile to small size

Nicolas Cadieux njacadieux.gitlab at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 01:48:14 PDT 2022

Hi,

There is a distinct possibility that the 5GB shape file is corrupt or that it will be if you manipulate it.  It’s too big for the normal shape file format.  I would first save it as a geopackage then stat looking at why the file is so big.

Unless shapes can be simplified without loosing resolution (keep a back up always), you might have to split the file using a field to make multiple files (example splitting a lake file by state).  You may look at the data types.  Perhaps they can be simplified (ex int16 vs float64 for a filed that has no decimal values…

Try compressing the resulting file.

Nicolas Cadieux
https://gitlab.com/njacadieux