[Qgis-user] Convert huge shapefile to small size

Patrick Dunford enzedrailmaps at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 18:27:09 PDT 2022

A shapefile is a vector files, as far as I know. I don't think any
rasters are stored in this format.

If there is a large volume of data, it may have a great many records
referencing a large number of features. Vector layers are usually made
up of a number of points that together form one feature. So practically
all the data in a vector layer is the coordinates of these points.

The only way of getting it smaller is reduce the number of points,
reduce the number of features, or maybe there is a format that's compressed?

Tiles depend on the zoom level, you don't need all the resolution at the
lower scales or zoom levels because the map is just cluttered, you only
need them when you zoom in.