[Qgis-user] Purchase of old satellite photos for small AOI

Aron Gergely aron.gergely at rasterra.nl
Sun Jun 12 03:47:13 PDT 2022

Hi Piotr,

Such minimum order area is the standard with the commercial imagery
vendors. You would not get away below 20-25km2.
As an alternative you can look into:
1. Getting data from your national mapping agency - what data they have
and whether it's free or paid,  depends entirely on your country.
     In an ideal situation they would have  annual aerial imagery
coverage, for free..
2. Try your luck with some open archives. The coverage is spotty at
best, but you may be in luck.
     I know of USGS Earth Explorer (https://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/)
check out the categories
     In datasets > "commercial satellites", and "declassified data"
     You may find IKONOS-2, OrbView, or declassified spy satellite
imagery (panchromatic only AFAIK) starting from the 60s CORONA and onwards.

Best regards,
Aron

On 11-06-2022 23:58, Patrick Dunford via Qgis-user wrote:
> Aerial photography might be a better option to explore for a small
> area like that, if it is available in your country.
>
> On 12/06/22 06:58, Patrick Dunford wrote:
>> What do you call "high resolution"?
>>
>> The highest resolution I see from my area on the likes of Google Maps
>> is actually aerial photography, taken the traditional way with a plane.
>>
>> On 4/06/22 06:24, Piotr Kania via Qgis-user wrote:
>>> Hello everyone, do You know of a service/company that allows you to
>>> buy high resolution satellite imagery from 1999-2003 for a small
>>> area (AOI maximum 1 ha)? Probably Ikonos satellite products.
>>> Suppliers in my country require the purchase of a large area with a
>>> minimum of about 20 km2 (probably one "scene") - thanks for any answer.

Email Signature Kind Regards,

Aron Gergely
+31 (0) 6 38 70 97 66

*Rasterra* | www.rasterra.nl