[Qgis-user] Connection to Azure SQL Server fails

morten at styrke10.dk morten at styrke10.dk
Wed Nov 9 01:54:36 PST 2022

Hi all,

We are experiencing problems keeping a connection to geodata in Azure SQL
Server tables alive or reconnecting after some idle time.

After having established a connection to a table in Azure SQL Server
everything works normally. However after a varying amount of idle time
(typically 30-60 minutes), the connection fails, and data can't be read or
written to the table. Closing and reopening the project reestablishes the
connection, and everything works normally again, until the next longer idle
time.

We have tried similar scenarios (lengthy connections to Azure SQL tables)
from Azure Data Studio and MS Excel, which have not suffered from the same
errors.

When monitoring TCP traffic in TCPView, one can see, when the connection
closes down (which also happens for Azure Data Studio and Excel), but the
latter two reestablishes the connection, when it is needed - QGIS doesn't!

After the connection to Azure SQL Server has failed (ie. when I can't save
my edits anymore or identify objects), if I delete or add objects through
Azure Data Studio, and then refresh my QGIS canvas these edits are shown,
but they can't be edited, selected or identified in QGIS!

The bug has been reproduced on several clients/pcs.

Anyone else experiencing this - and hopefully having a solution?

--

Best regards,

Morten Storm