[Qgis-user] Profile data (other than plugins) that can cause crashes?

Patrick Dunford enzedrailmaps at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 19:31:28 PDT 2022

Good day

Since I first began to use Kubuntu 22.04 from the .0 release I started
to see crashes on Qgis that weren't experienced on the same versions
running on previous releases of Kubuntu (certainly the case on 20.04).
These seem to come and go depending on some random factors, which makes
it extremely hard to write up a meaningful bug report for the issue
which is why so far all that has been filed is one with the Ubuntu
project bug reporting system.

All of these crashes occur when Qgis attempts to display a file
operation dialog (e.g. add a layer, save a layer definition file, etc).

Today I started to see these issues happening on a system that has been
trouble free for weeks if not months, the crashes became very consistent
/ repetitive which had not been observed for a long time up to now if at
all.

I have tried a new profile and at the moment that makes the problem go
away. However the next question would be what might be contained within
a profile that could cause such an issue. Often it is considered the
most likely issue in a profile is to do with installed plugins. In this
case, both profiles contain the same plugins which are the 10 that are
installed as core plugins (5 selected by default). If the issue is
within a profile, it must be some other part of the profile.

Is there any base of experience about other parts of a profile (such as
user settings) which can cause issues?

The most obvious different between profiles in this case is
previewImages folder, however removing these images made no difference
to the issue. It would require further testing or analysis to try to
find out where the issue might be occurring. Nevertheless a bug report
has been filed, attaching the old and new profiles.

Is there any straightforward way of producing a comparison between
different versions of the databases (which must include all the user
settings) in a profile.

T.I.A.