[Qgis-user] Lat Lon Tools Gets New Capabilities

C Hamilton adenaculture at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 04:44:02 PDT 2022

Yesterday, Lat Lon Tools was updated to version 3.6.5 (
https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/latlontools/). This release includes the
following:

1. Lat Lon Tools can now snapshot H3 geohash coordinates and zoom to H3
coordinates. H3 is a fantastic library that I have started working with,
but you currently need to 'pip install h3' from the OSGeo4W Shell to get
this capability. Lat Lon Tools detects whether H3 is available or not and
works as it always has without it.
2. Some coordinate formats represent a point on the earth's surface where
others represent an area. Previously when using Lat Lon Tools' zoom to a
coordinate tool it would zoom to the location and add a marker at the
center of area coordinate formats. Now it marks the center but also
displays the actual area the coordinate represents based on the resolution
of the coordinate. This applies to H3, Geohash, Google Open Location Code
(Plus Codes), and the amateur radio Maidenhead grid format. I would like to
apply this to MGRS and UTM, but the MGRS library was developed by the
defunct Boundless geo and there is no function to return the boundary. The
same is true with my implementation of UTM.
3. You can now choose the color of the marker used with the zoom to tool.
It can be selected from the Settings dialog.

Enjoy,

Calvin