[Qgis-user] Github Access Problems

Patrick Dunford enzedrailmaps at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 04:10:31 PDT 2023

Good morning Qgis project admins

In recent times I am unable to sign in to Github to access the Qgis
project resources there. This is because Github has mandated two factor
authentication for sign-in, and the verification codes they send me by
email are never delivered. (Yes, I have checked my spam folders)

I believe it's well known in the IT industry that Microsoft and Google
do not cooperate well when it comes to email delivery. Over many years
when having stuff emailed from a Microsoft account to a Google account,
the messages are generally very slow to be delivered.

I have not had any problems with logging on to Github in the past but
now that MS have taken it over and fully integrated it to their
operations, now that I guess Microsoft's servers are delivering emails,
it seems like we are back to square one on slow or non existent email
delivery.

I also note that until recently I was able to use my Github account to
sign in to Gnome's Gitlab instance, but not anymore. Gnome stopped
accepting Github login credentials on their site, saying there had been
spam problems.

I understand a lot of organisations have migrated off Github since
Microsoft took it over for various reasons. I do not know if the Qgis
project has considered this option, but it seems to me that there is
nothing I can do to solve what appears to be ongoing issues between MS
and Google and therefore there is no obvious other solution to address
the problems I have with my login, other than changing to a non-Google
email account.

Regards