[Qgis-user] Support for Mesh layers (netCDF) on Postgis/Postgresql: is it possible?

Saber Razmjooei saber.razmjooei at lutraconsulting.co.uk
Thu Dec 14 02:13:23 PST 2023

Hi Jorge,

What is your motivation for storing mesh data in PG? If you want to have
fast access to large central datasets, PG is probably not a good storage
option. Best to investigate Zarr (https://zarr.dev/) which is a cloud
optimised format for large multidimensional datasets. We need to first
implement it in MDAL for QGIS to be able to load the data effectively.

Another option to serve large NetCDF/GRIB data is to set up an EDR (
https://ogcapi.ogc.org/edr/overview.html) service which we are adding
support for it in QGIS.

Kind regards
Saber

On Wed, 13 Dec 2023 at 19:36, Jorge Gustavo Rocha via QGIS-User <
qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm playing with netCDF files. I add them to QGIS using the mdal
> provider (mesh layer). Reading netCDF data from files works very well.
>
> My question is: is it possible to read netCDF data from Postgis/Postgresql?
>
> I can store netCDF files in Postgis using raster2pgsql, but the data is
> stored as raster and I can only open it as raster in QGIS and not as
> mesh. Is works, but not as good as the mesh support.
>
> I'm storing it, using something like this:
>
> raster2pgsql -s 4326 -d -I -C -M AZ1_HS_2023101200.nc -F
> public.az1_hs_2023101200 | psql service=atlantico
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jorge Gustavo

Saber Razmjooei
www.lutraconsulting.co.uk