[Qgis-user] QGIS for Windows with GSS/Kerberos/Active Directory

Tomas Pospisek tpo2 at sourcepole.ch
Fri Feb 3 09:24:28 PST 2023

On 03.02.23 18:02, chris hermansen wrote:
> Tomas and list,
>
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2023 at 8:11 AM Tomas Pospisek via QGIS-User
> <qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org <mailto:qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org>> wrote:
>
>     When I try to set up a connection to a Postgres/Postgis DB server with
>     Active Directory/Kerberos/GSS authentication the QGIS DB setup dialog
>     displays this message:
>
>           gssencmode value "require" invalid when GSSAPI support is not
>     compiled in
>
>     When I check the Postgres source code [1] I see that apparently this
>     gets displayed when GSS support is not compiled in.
>
>     So it seems QGIS as shipped by qgis.org <http://qgis.org> does not
>     ship with GSS support?
>     Is that correct?
>
>     Does anybody use QGIS on Windows with GSS? How did you do it?
>
>     I could go ahead and download the EDB Postgres ZIP [3] and exctract
>     libpq.dll from it and replace the libqq.dll shipped by the QGIS
>     installer with it, but I'm not sure if that would work at all, if that
>     would be robust and it'll certainly be a pain to maintain.
>
>     Any pointers/suggestions/help?
>

> Maybe this is the proverbial dumb question... but why not install your
> EDB PostgreSQL on your windows machine and run it on a different port?
> And then connect to it from your QGIS instance, on that different port
> of course?

Thanks for your answer Chris, but I can't see how you your reply relates
to my question. I need QGIS to authenticate users with Active
Directory/Kerberos. That QGIS/libpq fails to do so doesn't have anything
to do with ports but with the fact that GSS support is not compiled into
the libpq that is furnished with QGIS.
*t