[Qgis-user] QGIS and historical battle

Nicolas Cadieux njacadieux.gitlab at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 14:03:41 PST 2023

Hi,

You cannot do simulations like video games with QGIS but yes, you can map all your data, do viewshed analyses to see what you can see from where, figure out distances and area of potential battle field…. Eliminate battle grounds based on thing like slope angles.   Like others have said, make sure you have the proper archaeological  permits before you begin or else you may very well destroy what you are trying to save.  If you give us more information, we could point you the right direction for the data.  I imagine others have had the same idea!  I would be nice to map out that data too to try and figure out various locations.

If you don’t have a DEM, or LiDAR data (this would be ideal), then I suggest the NASADEM.  Police video of crowd sizes during demonstration, or parade data like what is done in France or in Russia on celebrations days could be a good place to start to figure out how many people fit in a certain area.  This would be a minimum bounding box I guess as the exact combat methods would need to be studied.

Nicolas Cadieux
https://gitlab.com/njacadieux