[Qgis-user] What QGIS plugin development should I work on this year?

C Hamilton adenaculture at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 07:37:09 PST 2023

Hi QGIS users,

I am looking for ideas for what QGIS development I should be working on
this year. My plugin development over the years has focused on capabilities
that were missing at the time or algorithms that made QGIS user's lives
easier. Here are the plugins I've developed so far.

https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/author/C%2520Hamilton/

I am interested in algorithms that may be in commercial software but not in
QGIS that people need. I am also interested in different ways to visualize
and analyze data. Last year I released the Density Analysis plugin
<https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/densityanalysis/>. It added additional
density analysis algorithms including a fast H3 histogram of an area. I
never got any feedback on the plugin so I don't know whether it is
useful or not to users, but it has had 11,608 downloads since last June. I
always appreciate feedback as it is what encourages me to continue
development.

I have been debating on updating the D3 Data Visualization plugin
<https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/d3datavis/> to use plotly to create the
graph and perhaps add additional graphs. That was one of my early plugins
where I created my own D3 graph of the data. It could probably be done
better.

Are there any algorithms that you would like to have developed? It may be
that QGIS is getting sufficiently advanced that there is not much that is
really needed any more, but if you have any ideas I would appreciate them.
Anything I work on needs to benefit a sizable number of users. It can't be
too specific. It also needs to be constrained enough that I can complete in
a reasonable amount of time.

If you have any ideas for improving my existing plugins that could be an
option as well.

By the way is there a better forum than this qgis-user group to reach out
to QGIS users or is this the best way?

Thanks for your input!

Calvin