[Qgis-user] What QGIS plugin development should I work on this year?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Thu Jan 26 09:07:35 PST 2023

Great place to ask IMHO.

These is a combination of a suggestion and a fish for an answer that
tells me no work is needed.  I don't know how widespread the audience is
relative to your standards.

1)

Consider someone with a local coordinate system establish with a total
station or similar classical methods.  No assumptions on orientation of
axes, except up is up.  Let's assume there are perhaps hundreds of
points.  Perhaps this is just a data collector dump and perhaps it is
gama output.

Further assume the person has absolute positions (lat/lon/HAE) probably
via GPS RTK, and perhaps standard deviations.

I want to be able to enter the correspondence, and compute a
transformation that can be not only used in qgis but stored in a file to
be used with proj/gdal.  And, I want to store the corresponding points
so that I can re-open, change some, and add some, without starting over.

There is a geoscience plugin that mostly does this but it seemed awkward
for reasons I don't remember this minute.

2)

Similar, but assume someone has a survey plan with angles and distances,
and somehow (in a new plugin or separate) converts them to a local
system (because one can ~never assume the angles are true to any
particular geodetic coordinate system).  Given 1, this is about entering
the angles/distances and turning it into a layer, I think.

There is a cadastral plugin but it seems to be about taking a shape and
producing documents, vs taking documents and producing a shape.

3)

With RTK, one can take 30s, 60s, whatever position traces on a mark.
Then one can average those.  Multiple such observations over multiple
days can then be combined to form an estimate for the mark.  There are
interesting questions here about finding the mark by being close, vs
labeling, and not labeling is a faster workflow.   I'm doing this
manually but it would be cool to be more automated.