[Qgis-user] What QGIS plugin development should I work on this year?

Gabriel De Luca pablogabrieldeluca at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 16:14:20 PST 2023

Case 1) would be welcome.

I do a little manually that transformation. I convert the values of
latitude, longitude and ellipsoidal height to geocentric Cartesian
coordinates. Then I find the transformation parameters between the local
system and the geocentric one.

The transformation pipeline is then made up of: a 3D affine transformation
from the local to the geocentric system, the conversion from the geocentric
to the geodetic or geographic system, and finally the projection to some
cartographic system (usually a custom one, but can be projected to any).

The geoscience plugin, on the other hand, is based on the construction of a
derived from a projected reference system. In other words, it calculates
the affine transformation parameters in 2D between a local system and a
projected one and uses them in the construction of a new derived system. The
derived from projected CRS is only compatible with the WKT2:2019 version,
and that limits it in some GDAL and QGIS functions.

I collaborated with the author in the construction of the WKT for derived
from projected CRSes and the calculation of parameters is done with a
script that I had written when I began to need to carry out this type of
transformation. It only requires numpy and is very efficient at finding
transformation parameters. The algorithm on which it is based is not mine.

You can use the script if you consider it convenient, I published it with a
MIT license at https://github.com/gabriel-de-luca/simil.

Regards,
Gabriel De Luca