[Qgis-user] Removal of overlap geometries within the same layer - merge to largest neighbor polygon

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Jul 25 03:01:57 PDT 2023

Hi,

A friend of mine has a dirty input data set with lots of overlapping
geometries (within the same layer) and asked me if there is a tool
within QGIS to automatically remove the overlaps and assign the
overlapping area to the neighbor polygon with the largest area.

The solution was surprisingly hard to find, although I am pretty sure
there are multiple combinations of algorithms that would solve the
problem. Here is the solution I came up with:
https://github.com/qgis-ch/overlap_removal/tree/main [1]- perhaps you
have better ideas - more elegant solutions?

Wouldn't it be great if QGIS had a processing tool to solve this overlap
cleaning within the same layer "out of the box" without having to use a
graphical model or a more or less complicated sequence of algorithms in
the processing toolbox? Apparently, ArcGIS has such a tool ...

Saga and GRASS also might have such tools - but I couldn't get the SAGA
based QGIS plugin "Dissect and dissolve overlaps"
(https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/dissect_dissolve_overlaps).

The same problem exists for automatically filling small gaps in the
polygon data set ...

Andreas

Links:
------