[Qgis-user] Removal of overlap geometries within the same layer - merge to largest neighbor polygon

Bernhard Ströbl nospam at stroweb.de
Tue Jul 25 04:13:50 PDT 2023

Hi Andreas,

the Algorithm "Eliminate selected polygons" was originally created to address these questions. I usually imported the data into GRASS ran a clean there and reexported the results into a non topolgical dataset. Thus overlapping areas and gaps (only if closed) are identified and can be eliminated using the algorithm named above (selecting only a certain area-circumference relation) by merging it with the adjacent polygon with the smallest/largest area or the longest common boundary.
For your case you could have used this algorithm after the union to identify overlaps.
As for an algorithm that does all this in one go: You would need something that detects holes between polygons without the help of a toplogical data format.

regards
Bernhard