[Qgis-user] Removal of overlap geometries within the same layer - merge to largest neighbor polygon

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Wed Jul 26 05:15:11 PDT 2023

Hi,

Thank you all for your feedback!

@Nyall - the GEOS/JTS capabilities for cleaning and validating geometries
look definitely interesting. Something for an upcoming QGIS-CH grant
perhaps ...

@Bernhard - I also had a look at and tested the "Eliminate selected
polygons" algorithm - but it doesn't have a way to specify attribute
handling nor grouping - and it is also strange that I have to select the
polygons first and cannot run the algorithm on the whole data set as is

About SAGA: I couldn't get the SAGA stuff to work anymore
About GRASS: it could be an option, but a native solution in QGIS would be
preferred

So in summary: there are several options around for cleaning overlaps - but
it isn't as straight-forward and user friendly yet as it could/should be.

I haven't looked at the gaps yet ...

Thank you all and greetings,
Andreas

Andreas Neumann