[Qgis-user] Disappearing labels and how to get them back

Cory Albrecht maps at hanfastolfe.com
Thu Jun 15 19:22:19 PDT 2023

I found the problem.

Because QGIS from 3.x has handled JSON  or array columns well from PostGIS
layers, I finally converted most of those columns to text fields. Because
of that I had very few features lasted edited years ago which had had
anything in the full_name::JSON column, most were NULL, so the data driven
code

if(

  map_get("full_name", 'en') IS NULL,
  "name",
  map_get("full_name", 'en')[0]
) +
'\nFrom: ' +
format_date("start_date", 'yyyy-MM-dd') +
'\nTo: ' +
format_date("end_date", 'yyyy-MM-dd')

did not work, as after "full_name" was converted from full_name::JSON to
full_name::TEXT, the map() function of course no longer worked and the
creation of the label text just errored out and produced nothing.

I had only made that column change on one PostgreSQL server, not on the
other, which was why it seems to happen on copy. The style that worked
referenced a different column, name::TEXT, that has never changed since the
layer was created years ago.