[Qgis-user] Placing random points

chris hermansen clhermansen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 20:16:59 PDT 2023

Andrea and list,

On Fri, Mar 24, 2023 at 5:00 PM Andrea Giudiceandrea via QGIS-User <
qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> > Thomas Sebastien sebasapp at hotmail.com
> > Fri Mar 24 03:32:25 PDT 2023
>
> > what works best for what I’m trying to achieve is dissolving the
> polygons and placing random points in layer bounds
>
> Hi Sebastien,
> AFAIK, you don't need to dissolve the polygons before using them as
> input of the "Random points in layer bounds" algorithm: such algorithm
> correctly places the total chosen number n of random points even if the
> input N features/polygons are not dissolved.
>
> I believe I was the one who suggested the layer bounds approach.

Thomas Sebastian, you do not need to dissolve the polygons if you are only
interested in placing the random points within the layer bounds as Andrea
says.  If you have a non-rectangular dataset then your layer bounds could
result in points being placed outside the polygons in your dataset; you
should do the dissolve and place the points within the dissolved polygon.
If like me you live in a rectangular / map-sheet-ish world then by all
means work in the layer bounds.

--
Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com

C'est ma façon de parler.