[Qgis-user] How I solved my "Polygon" to "Mutipoligons" problem

Richard McDonnell richard.mcdonnell at opw.ie
Wed May 10 07:36:11 PDT 2023

Andrea,
I believe what Riccardo is getting at is that while an "ESRI Shapefile" (*.shp) always will have MultiPolygon as its Geometry Type, the "Polygons" within the shapefile are unique individual geometries.
We have this requirement in our own organisation, in reaction to Shapefiles, there can be no Multipart Geometries. To explain a little further, we don’t allow Multiple Geometries linked by a single row in a Table, each geometry has its own row.
I hope that clarifies things.
Kind Regards,

Richard.

——
Richard McDonnell MSc GIS, FME Certified Professional
FRM Data Management

——
Oifig na nOibreacha Poiblí
Office of Public Works

Sráid Jonathan Swift, Baile Átha Troim, Co na Mí, C15 NX36
Jonathan Swift Street, Trim, Co Meath, C15 NX36
——
M +353 87 688 5964   T +353 46 942 2409
https://gov.ie/opw

——
To send me files larger than 30MB, please use the link below https://filetransfer.opw.ie/filedrop/richard.mcdonnell@opw.ie

Email Disclaimer: https://www.gov.ie/en/organisation-information/439daf-email-disclaimer/

——
Richard McDonnell MSc GIS, FME Certified Professional
FRM Data Management

——
Oifig na nOibreacha Poiblí
Office of Public Works

Sráid Jonathan Swift, Baile Átha Troim, Co na Mí, C15 NX36
Jonathan Swift Street, Trim, Co Meath, C15 NX36
——
M +353 87 688 5964   T +353 46 942 2409
https://www.opw.ie

——