[Qgis-user] Relationships between QGIS Server, QGIS Desktop, PostGIS

Steve Ediger steve.ediger at chicommons.coop
Mon May 22 07:43:41 PDT 2023

Hello,

We  love QGIS, and have been using it for years, but from a standpoint of a single user developing maps that we share as PDFs, etc.  For our production maps, we are using PostGreSQL (without PostGIS) for data, mapping layers via queries to that DB in umap, a middleware project that then displays those layers in Open Street Maps.  It's been working pretty well for us despite some bugs (https://prod.chicommons.coop), but we want to introduce other views, write articles that point out specific analysis, etc.  Also, we want multiple people to have access to the data and map project(s) to produce these views and articles.  Here's the use case:

Use PostGreSQL/PostGIS to store the data (we're finalizing a normalized DB architecture that will be robust enough to capture the information on which we want to focus)

We have an application that allows crowd-sourcing of the data, combined with curation by an admin to ensure that it meets our standards and fits our criteria.

Use QGIS to develop layers querying the DB and views that we want to publish. Ideally, it must allow

Multiple users to be editing the database concurrently

Multiple users to be working on the QGIS project concurrently.

Versioning retaining authority for the master version.

Use QGIS with the leaflet plugin (and potentially other plugins, to be researched and implemented) to publish the views

Our question is how to set up QGIS Server, Desktop, and PostGreSQL/PostGIS to meet these goals.

Should we have individual workers

use their desktop version and connect to stored projects and shape files in PostGreSQL/PostGIS?

Use their desktop version and connect to QGIS Server?

Use their web browser and connect to the QGIS Server?

Thanks for your pointers.

Steve Ediger

Founding Worker-Owner, ChiCommons LWCA

http://www.chicommons.coop