[Qgis-user] QGIS controlling access in QGIS

Emma Hain emma at north-road.com
Tue May 30 18:31:40 PDT 2023

Let me give you an example from a previous workplace - a large engineering
firm.

We ran QGIS as a corporate GIS.
Data was controlled through Window Explorer permissions as well as ArcGIS
Rest Servers.
Users were either blocked from certain data, allowed read only or given
full access.

Worked really well.

Cheers
Em

On Wed, 31 May 2023 at 02:27, David Strip via QGIS-User <
qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Expanding on what Chris said -
> Qgis does not own or manage data, Qgis manipulates and displays data from
> files, databases, and web services. As Chris points out, access to files is
> controlled through OS settings, databases by database settings. Web
> services may require authentication for access. When Qgis is used to create
> derivative datasets, these will be stored in a file system or database,
> again subject to the sorts of access restrictions that these systems
> provide.
>
> On 5/30/2023 9:59 AM, chris hermansen via QGIS-User wrote:
>
> Simon and list,
>
> On Tue, May 30, 2023, 08:48 Simon via QGIS-User <qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> It's me again, I just had some questions regarding the ability to control
>> access in QGIS. First of all, is it even possible? Can an organization
>> (like departments of the Canadian government) control who has access to
>> which database or file? Can the IT department of that organization manage
>> the access?
>>

> Access to files is controlled through operating system settings. Access to
> databases is controlled by database settings. Normally in organizations
> system administrators manage these settings.
>
> Whatever software application is run is limited in its access by those
> settings. It would be unusual for an end user software application to
> further manage access.
>
> Settings typically include ability to read, ability to write, ability
> create and ability delete. So for example a set of shape files could be
> shared as read only to users, to a group of users, or via access control
> lists.
>
> To your point - access to resources is not controlled through QGIS; it is
> controlled by the operating system, and by the database server if one is
> used.

Emma Hain — Product Manager/Senior GIS Analyst
emma at north-road.com / 0414 512 782
[image: https://north-road.com]
*North Road*
Cartography • Development • Spatial Analysis
*north-road.com* <http://north-road.com>
<https://twitter.com/northroadgeo>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/north-road-studios>
<https://www.facebook.com/North-Road-997236690392419/home>