[Qgis-user] How to download QGIS for MacOs Ventura 13.5.2

Garth Fletcher garth at jacqcad.com
Thu Nov 2 14:29:22 PDT 2023

Hi Andrea,

re "/macOS High Sierra (10.13) or newer is required./"

In my experience, QGIS 3.32.x does NOT fully work on macOS High Sierra
(10.13)
The problem is with some of the processes and the library routines they
call.

For example, QGIS 3.32.0 cannot be used with WBT 2.2, because of "Symbol
not found: __cg_jpeg_resync_to_restart", but QGIS 3.30.3 works correctly.

macOS High Sierra (10.13) is still used by many who depend on somewhat
older machines.

Re the rest of the wording:

it suggests (to me) that the security issue begins with Catalina
(10.15); however it is already present in 10.13 (and earlier).

System Preferences > Privacy & Security has long offered choices of allowing
  Apple software only, or
   " Apple + signed software.
So even signed software can be blocked.

So the instructions should apply to all macOS whenever QGIS refuses to
launch.

Also, it should make clear that the QGIS app itself is what is
control-clicked.
New users might think it is the .dmg icon...

The suggested changes seem an improvement, except for the "For Users of
MacOS Catalina and above:" title.

What about:
*For Users of MacOS:*
After installing QGIS, the first launch attempt may fail due to security
protections.
To enable QGIS control-click on its Icon in your Applications folder and
select Open in the context menu.
A confirmation dialog will display where you can give permission for
QGIS to run.
This only has to be done once.

Garth Fletcher

Message: 4