[Qgis-user] Problem with Georeferences on AutoCAD version

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Fri Sep 1 06:57:10 PDT 2023

> When importing a .dwg file generated by AutoCAD, the application is
> not able to import the file in versions later than 2018. How could I
> import a file from a more current version?

The AutoCAD .dwg format is proprietary, and to my knowledge Autodesk
does not release any public specifications on how the file works.  The
Wikipedia page on .dwg (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.dwg) explains
many times Autodesk have tried to sue people who make software that
works with .dwg files.

So this makes it very difficult for free projects like QGIS to support
these file formats when the companies that develop them are so hostile.

> Knowing that most AutoCAD users use current versions with the latest
> tools, I think it would be very useful to be able to import files
> from any version of AutoCAD.

I'm sure it would be very useful.  Perhaps you can contact Autodesk and
ask them for information on the latest .dwg file specification?
Without information on how their latest changes work, it is very
difficult for other software to support the file format.

Otherwise your only option is probably to export the file from AutoCAD
into a different file format that QGIS can read - either one that is
more open and involves fewer lawsuits than .dwg, or as Richard
suggested, an older DWG version that hackers have previously reverse
engineered and made public without permission from Autodesk.

Cheers,
Adam.