[Qgis-user] Does QGIS require units "m" for the projection coordinate variables in a netCDF/CF file?

Thomas Lavergne thomas.lavergne at met.no
Sat Sep 16 00:37:55 PDT 2023

Thank you Richard,

I am not from the GIS world and not even a QGIS user, so bear with me if my
answers do not use the expected vocabulary.

>From my point of view, my netCDF files describe their geolocation in a
CF-compliant manner, with a grid_mapping CRS variable, and the x and y
projection coordinate variables. But QGIS does not recognize the CRS,
seemingly because I have my x and y as km (and I do specify :units="km", I
am not hiding this).

Since I am also a programmer, I tried to find where in the QGIS code the
netCDF/CF geolocation is read and decoded, to see if there was a strict
test on :units="m". But I failed to find this in the code.

Before I fill out a bug report, I wanted to hear from a QGIS developer (or
someone who knows how to navigate the software code) if we can identify
where the strict test on :units="m" is in the code, and see if alternative
solutions (accepting other units, all multiples of meters) was feasible.

All the best,
Thomas

fre. 15. sep. 2023 kl. 15:16 skrev Richard McDonnell <