[Qgis-user] How to create 3d terrain from DEM?

Richard McDonnell richard.mcdonnell at opw.ie
Fri Feb 23 02:29:19 PST 2024

Hi,
Quick glance at your DEM and it looks wrong, you can see the points, which to me suggests there's an issue.

As I don't 100% know the resolution of the original data you are sampling, my advice is limited to a best guess. From what I can see, online, Google elevations are based on Satellite Radar Topographic Mapping (SRTM) and has a resolution of 30m.

You might be better trying to get the original SRTM data from HERE<https://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/>

Alternatively, try using Pixel size values in the IDW Interpolation, setting it to 30 x and 30 y and see what you get.
Kind Regards,

Richard.

--
Richard McDonnell MSc GIS, FME Certified Professional
Geographical Information Systems Officer

--
Oifig na nOibreacha Poibl?
Office of Public Works

Sr?id Jonathan Swift, Baile ?tha Troim, Co na M?, C15 NX36
Jonathan Swift Street, Trim, Co Meath, C15 NX36
--
M +353 87 688 5964 T +353 46 942 2409
https://gov.ie/opw

--