[Qgis-user] How to create 3d terrain from DEM?

greg at tekknow.net greg at tekknow.net
Thu Feb 22 20:12:38 PST 2024

Hello QGIS users,

We have a piece of land in Grand Lake, CO.  We want to build a house on it
but the land is on a slope so we need to have a 3D terrain map to locate the
house at the optimal location.  I'm mainly going off this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZZ2MVLZN4o but it doesn't work for me.

I start by making a line string in Google Earth, like this:

Then I save it as .kml file and import that file into GPS Visualizer.  That
gets all the elevations along the line.  Then I Convert & add elevation as a
plain text file and save the file.

Then in QGIS version 3.28.14-Firenze, I select Layer > Add Layer > Add
Delimited Text Layer.  In the popup window, I open the text file and the
data gets imported.  The Sample Data looks good.  I select X field as LONG,
Y field as LAT, and Z field as ALT.  I leave all the other fields at their
defaults and click the Add button.  All the points come in as shown:

Next, I create the DEM by double-clicking the Interpolation > IDW
interpolation in the Processing Toolbox.  In the popup dialog, I click the
plus button to add a layer and set its Type to Structure lines.  I set the
Extent to Calculate from Layer > [name of elevation points].  I set the Rows
to 100, leave the rest at their defaults, and click the Run button.  After
about 5 seconds it creates a DEM as shown:

Next, I select Basemaps > Google Satellite from the HCMGIS plugin, It loads
the image, overlayed on the DEM correctly:

Finally, I click the green tent icon in the in the Qgis2threejs Exporter
plugin.

Instead of a nice 3D terrain as shown in the video, I get a wonky image like
this:

I've spent a month trying to create a 3D terrain model, without success.
Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong, or recommend a workflow that
actually works?  Please, no methods that require commercial software such as
ArcMap, Rhino, Civil 3D, Autocad, etc.

Thank you!