[Qgis-user] Help with building from source

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Fri Feb 23 13:57:24 PST 2024

> I am also having problems building QGIS. Actually it built but the
> gui/menu/display is messed up.  Some of the items in the windows are
> missing.  Not all my projects are shown.

I think that'll happen if you don't have all the libraries installed
when you compile.  If it can't find them it will just compile without
those features.

Depending on your OS you may have to install "development" versions of
the packages in order to get the additional source code files
("headers") that are needed for source compilations to work.  Or if
that's not an option, you may have to compile and install those from
source first before you start with QGIS.

When following the instructions at the start for configuring the build
you should be able to see which libraries it has picked up, so you at
least know which ones you still need to work on.

Compiling a large project like QGIS from source isn't for the faint of
heart.  I've been compiling code personally and professionally for many
years and it still took me a while to figure it out and get it working.

Unless you plan on changing the code and submitting a patch as I was, I
definitely recommend sticking to the usual downloads as getting those
working is considerably easier than getting a fully functional source
build.

Cheers,
Adam.