[Qgis-user] QGIS through conda on Linux

Johannes Kröger (WhereGroup) johannes.kroeger at wheregroup.com
Mon Feb 26 08:21:03 PST 2024

I haven't tested OpenCL in a conda QGIS myself but assumed that the
instructions would work (have working OpenCL on the host, then install
the ocl-icd-system in the conda environment where you want to use it).

A quick test on a AMD Ryzen laptop just failed but even non-conda QGIS
did not pick up OpenCL support on it. :\

I hope this isn't a dead end. Sorry for not keeping your goal with
OpenCL support in mind when suggesting this initially!

On 26.02.24 15:32, Bernd Vogelgesang wrote:
> Soooo,
>
> I thought to share my steps so far, so I will not have to ask again in
> some weeks ;)
>
> terminal:
> $ curl -L -O
> "https://github.com/conda-forge/miniforge/releases/latest/download/Miniforge3-$(uname)-$(uname
> -m).sh"
> bash Miniforge3-$(uname)-$(uname -m).sh
>
> was asked to deactivate the base environment and confirmed, but
> somehow this did not happen, so:
>
> $ conda config --set auto_activate_base false
>
> $ conda create --name qgis_3.34
>
> then I got warned that there is a newer version of conda (strange, why
> isn't the new version installed right away?).
> So done as told:
>
> $ conda update -n base -c conda-forge conda
>
> $ conda activate qgis_3.34
>
> conda install qgis=3.34
>
> stuff is installed, but again the warning to update
>
> finally:
> WARNING: No ICDs were found. Either,
> - Install a conda package providing a OpenCL implementation (pocl,
> oclgrind, intel-compute-runtime, beignet) or
> - Make your system-wide implementation visible by installing
> ocl-icd-system conda package.
>
> That stuff is exactly what I was messing around with for the past week
> to get the graphics card support in QGIS. Gnrrr...!
>
> So, what to do now? I feel like panicking ... ;)
>

> Am 26.02.24 um 14:21 schrieb Johannes Kröger (WhereGroup):
>> Don't feel dumb, it is all written and spread out in super
>> complicated ways but once running, it's alright-ish.
>>
>> Normal Miniforge3 should be fine unless you know you want pypy.
>> Unless you know differently, try the "Miniforge3-Linux-x86_64" version.
>> Mamba is something hidden in the background, for you it will pretend
>> to be Conda. Conda is the original project, mamba is a faster,
>> compatible alternative.
>> Miniforge is something that comes with mamba "as conda" and
>> automatically uses the big "conda-forge" repository where lots of
>> software and libraries are available, packaged by the community.
>>
>> You can use the command lines from
>> https://github.com/conda-forge/miniforge?tab=readme-ov-file#install
>>
>> After installation I recommend: $ conda config --set
>> auto_activate_base false
>> Otherwise every terminal/shell session will run using a conda
>> environment instead of your standard system environment.
>>
>> Once installed, you can use the "create" line from other previous
>> mail to install a QGIS environment. Then "conda activate qgis_3.34"
>> to activate it in a terminal session, "qgis" in that same terminal to
>> launch that QGIS and just close the terminal or enter "conda
>> deactivate" to deactivate it again.
>>
>> Cheers, Hannes
>>

>> On 26.02.24 13:41, Bernd Vogelgesang wrote:
>>> Hi Hannes,
>>>
>>> Thanks for you answer. I played around before with those snakes and
>>> that's what maybe brought me into trouble.
>>>
>>> And again, this zoo of species starts to confuse me, starting with
> [...]
Johannes Kröger / GIS-Entwickler/-Berater

FOSSGIS Konferenz
20.-23. März 2024 in Hamburg
https://www.fossgis-konferenz.de/2024/

WhereGroup-Beiträge auf der FOSSGIS