[Qgis-user] How to Learn QGIS.

Emma Hain emma at north-road.com
Tue Jan 9 16:42:19 PST 2024

Hi Priyank

Here are my tips
*Training*
There is so much online stuff for QGIS. Here are some links:
https://www.qgistutorials.com/en/
https://www.youtube.com/@KlasKarlsson
https://www.youtube.com/@HansvanderKwast
https://www.youtube.com/@geodeltalabs
https://www.youtube.com/@burdGIS

*Tools*
- Don't forget to use AI to help you as well in this area.
- Also check out possible Plugins to help you.
- Start with QuickMapServices to give you backgrounds e.g google. You will
need to go through the settings to load them in
- QGIS Resource Sharing to find other things such as symbology, scripts &
etc
- OSMDownloader to download OSM data
- Layout Loader to help guide you to select possible map layouts when you
need to print out your results

- Check out the
*Data*
- don't download a heap of data
- always use the online services (ArcGIS Rest Services) - if these are
available -  and extract what you need for each project
- create a geopackage per project and put your datasets in that
- use meaningful names, I also date some of my files, just in case I have
to repeat processes - otherwise you can use versioning
- use the format .gpkg (geopackage) as there are so many functionalities
associated with it that are helpful for complex projects, such as saving
the layers style etc.
- QGIS can use geodatabases, but I would only use them if I am
interchanging between ESRI and QGIS
- ensure you have the right to use the data in your work
- if you are running processes, at the end of each process, you can collect
the parameters by either copying the log (on the lower right hand part of
the Log or click on ctrl+A) or click on the Advanced Tools/Copy as Json and
paste these into the Metadata 'History' section.

*Folder organisation*
- Generally this is the folder structure I have for geospatial activities:
[image: image.png]
- Always have a WKG (working) folder in your projects that you can put your
tests/trials and any other files that are not your final work - this means
you can control your storage space.
- For the data folder, create category folders and follow the topic
categories here
<https://icsm-au.github.io/metadata-working-group/defs/TopicCategory>.

*Wildlife GIS*
- If you google QGIS for fauna ecology, you can check out the results
there, you are better to judge what you need.
- I have previously undertaken ecology studies with environmental
scientists and QGIS is brilliant for it, but so versatile that you really
need to be the judge of what you need to do and then google it/find your
mentor/or just go for it and find the right tool to help provide your
outcome

*Community*
Well you have taken the first step into your QGIS community - congrats.
Try and connect with your regional community as well so you can meet others
face to face.
There are lots of links for QGIS
<https://www.qgis.org/en/site/forusers/usergroups.html>and OSGeo
<https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Local_Chapters>(which is the overarching
community for Open Source Geospatial) and think about attending a FOSS4G
event locally or the global one this year in Brazil.

I hope this helps and good luck for your mapping - Welcome to QGIS!

Cheers
Em

On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 at 08:54, Priyank Shah via QGIS-User <
qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm a student pursuing my masters in wildlife biology, recently I came
> across the concept of GIS and its applications in Wildlife, so  with that
> willingness to learn something new and upskill myself I want to learn QGIS
> and its applications with Wildlife.
>
> That being said I stumbled upon the resources on the QGIS website
> itself but at the beginning only I faced problems with having to download
> shape files, like how and where to download them from and what should be
> the file type for it to function in QGIS.
>
> And Lastly if anyone is knowledgeable or uses QGIS for Wildlife can
> someone tell me which aspects of the software do I need to have more
> emphasis on?
>
> Thank You.

Emma Hain — Product Manager/Senior GIS Analyst
emma at north-road.com
[image: https://north-road.com]
*North Road*
Cartography • Development • Spatial Analysis
*north-road.com* <http://north-road.com>
<https://twitter.com/northroadgeo>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/north-road-studios>
<https://www.facebook.com/North-Road-997236690392419/home>