[Qgis-user] Migrating QGIS User mailing list to OSGeo Discourse, yes or no?

Johannes Kröger (WhereGroup) johannes.kroeger at wheregroup.com
Fri Jan 19 01:11:50 PST 2024

Hi!

On 17.01.24 02:54, Adam Nielsen via QGIS-User wrote:
>> The main advantage of the forum like mode is the ability to search
>> for old topic and possibly easily get answers for your questions
>> before posting a new question
> Perhaps it needs to be a bit more obvious, but you can search the list
> for old topics if you use a query like this in most search engines:
>
>    site:lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-user/ search terms here
>
> There is also https://gis.stackexchange.com/ which has a lot of Q&A
> posts related to QGIS for people who prefer a more modern interface.

That often does not work.

Try finding this post
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-user/2023-February/052437.html

A forum also makes it possible for someone to continue a thread from x
years ago with new related questions or information. Something that is
really hard to do on a mailing list from what I know.

Cheers, Hannes