[Qgis-user] Migrating QGIS User mailing list to OSGeo Discourse, yes or no?

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Fri Jan 19 01:32:07 PST 2024

> > Perhaps it needs to be a bit more obvious, but you can search the list
> > for old topics if you use a query like this in most search engines:
> >
> >    site:lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-user/ search terms here
>
> That often does not work.
>
> Try finding this post
> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-user/2023-February/052437.html

Interesting, it looks like the archive hasn't been fully indexed.
Point taken.  However I will also point out that most forum software
I've used has an awful search as well (usually I resort to Google) so
I'm not sure whether Discourse is any better.

> A forum also makes it possible for someone to continue a thread from x
> years ago with new related questions or information. Something that is
> really hard to do on a mailing list from what I know.

Most forums frown on "necro-posting" like that because it's often
misused and reopens a completed discussion with something barely
related (and forces everyone to re-read a bunch of long forgotten posts
to get the context), so I'm not so sure that's a positive.

Cheers,
Adam.