[Qgis-user] Migrating QGIS User mailing list to OSGeo Discourse, yes or no?

Johannes Kröger (WhereGroup) johannes.kroeger at wheregroup.com
Fri Jan 19 06:20:25 PST 2024

On 19.01.24 10:32, Adam Nielsen wrote:
> Interesting, it looks like the archive hasn't been fully indexed.
> Point taken.  However I will also point out that most forum software
> I've used has an awful search as well (usually I resort to Google) so
> I'm not sure whether Discourse is any better.
Discourse provides sitemap.xml and it is full of search engine
optimisations. The integrated search is definitely at least as good as a
non-fuzzy full-text search on a mail archive.

>> A forum also makes it possible for someone to continue a thread from x
>> years ago with new related questions or information. Something that is
>> really hard to do on a mailing list from what I know.
> Most forums frown on "necro-posting" like that because it's often
> misused and reopens a completed discussion with something barely
> related (and forces everyone to re-read a bunch of long forgotten posts
> to get the context), so I'm not so sure that's a positive.

I never understood forums with blanket rules based on the age of
good thing in my experience. I mean actual on-topic posts, not people
posting only slightly related things or jumping into old, solved
problem-solving threads with changed scenarios.

The good thing is that no one is forced to read previous posts but in a
forum they easily can do so and continue.

Cheers, Hannes