[Qgis-user] Hillshade default direction

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Tue Jan 23 19:42:59 PST 2024

> Thank you to both of you for your informative responses.
> This prompted me to look at some satellite imagery and while the
> plateau vs. valley effect is not as distinct, the reversal of hills
> persists. Never noticed that before.

Off topic but it's something that has always bugged me about so many of
NASA's images of the lunar surface.  The lighting is so often from the
bottom right of the image making them look like bumps instead of
craters.

For example this looks like it's covered in pimples to me rather than
small craters:

  https://phys.org/news/2016-10-reveals-lunar-surface-features-younger.html

I always assumed it was because I spent so much time on computers,
where all the user-interface buttons are lit from the top-left.  When
you click a button to make it look like it's being pushed in, the
border colours around the button change to make it look the same as if
it was lit from the bottom-right instead (plus the text is moved a few
pixels to add to the 3D effect).

I wonder - does that mean everyone who is used to south-east lighting
sees UI buttons as being pushed in by default, and they pop out when
you click on them?

Cheers,
Adam.