[Qgis-user] How to Change Layer coordinate fields

kirk kirk at nortekresources.com
Wed Jan 24 02:33:13 PST 2024

Hi Alana.You cannot edit the csv file, however, you can save it as a shapefile or other vector format.  You can choose the  coordinate system you want the data to reside in when you save it.Load the newly minted vector file snd you can recalculate or add new coordinate fields if required, however. If you imported the original csv and correctly set the coordinate system, then a recalculation of the coordinate fields will not be required to display the data correctly.Kirk SchmidtSent from my Galaxy
-------- Original message --------From: Alanna Mitchell via QGIS-User <qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org> Date: 2024-01-24  5:55 a.m.  (GMT-04:00) To: qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org Subject: [Qgis-user] How to Change Layer coordinate fields

Dear group,

I have a qgis project I have been working on. It was point data uploaded as a delimited
 text layer, and in the excel file (.csv) I have the data in lat/long and easting/northing (irish transverse mercator) and I haven't opened it in a while, but when I did it changed one of the fields to longtidue, so now one is projecting in easting and one
 in longitude. I wish to alter this from the actual file, I don't want to reupload it again as I have a lot of project layouts saved that I only need to alter the symbology on and resave. I haven't been able to figure this out. In my excel file I have the coordinates,
 so I wish to change the column the field is derived from. Is this possible? When I hover over the layer on QGIS, I can see the file path so even if I had a way to access this and change it, I think I would manage. Thank you for any help. Kind regards.