[Qgis-user] Decoration Grid / drawing tools

Andrea Giudiceandrea andreaerdna at libero.it
Sun Jan 28 22:31:54 PST 2024

> Patrick Dunford enzedrailmaps at gmail.com
> Sun Jan 28 13:45:24 PST 2024

> I note there is a canvas grid that can be turned on by going to View ->
> Decorations -> Grid. However the rotation of this appears to be fixed to
> north/south/east/west

Hi Patrick,
the grid is a coordinates grid in the map's coordinate reference system,
so it is obviously always north-south/east-west oriented (acually, X/Y
oriented in the map CRS's Cartesian plane) based on the map's coordinate
reference system north-south/east-west directions (actually, X/Y
directions in the map CRS's Cartesian plane).

> and does not appear to have any provision to be
> changed in rotation in any form, such as for example aligning to the
> four sides of the window.

May you please elaborate? Since the grid is a coordinates grid in the
map's coordinate reference system and normally the axes directions of
the map are aligned to the four sides of the map window, then the grid
should always be aligned to the four side of the map window, unless you
have set a rotation angle for the map and thus both the map and the grid
are rotated and the axes directions of both the map and the grid are no
more aligned with the four side of the map window.

> Second issue is drawing tools. When I am tracing building outlines I
> want to be able to draw exact right angles with the sides of the
> building,

You can use the Advanced Digitizing panel, provided your map's CRS is a
projected CRS.

Best regards.

Andrea