[Qgis-user] Decoration Grid / drawing tools

Patrick Dunford enzedrailmaps at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 01:56:23 PST 2024

Hi, thanks for reply.

I have attached a screenshot that I hope will be small enough to be
accepted by the list server. So the aerial photo background I am tracing
from is not shown in it to save file size.

As you can see there is an irregularly shaped building to the left that
I haven't actually traced in this case, I managed to find a layer of
buildings that I could download for this particular area that have
already been digitised by someone else or some computer program. As you
can see, this building isn't nicely aligned to the grid.

I presume this software (Qgis) was designed by cartographers who have
put in all these interesting looking tools that can do all sorts of
stuff that I don't have much understanding of, and possibly in there
somewhere might be something that can do this a lot easier than I have
tried so far.

There are the useful rectangles and circles tools which are for drawing
regular shapes (you can see several examples of regular shapes in this
screenshot that were drawn with this tool) but aren't particularly
designed, as far as I can tell, for something that looks more like the
building on the left which is a number of rectangles joined together.
Anyway if I was wanting to digitise a building like the one on the left
my instinct would be to have some way of aligning it to the grid, but it
actually can't be made to achieve this because it's a few degrees off
and unless the canvas background can be rotated independently of the
grid, or the grid, I don't seem to have a way to get a grid alignment.

So the best I can work out of how to digitise this shape is being able
to align to the grid in some way perhaps with some kind of snapping to
the grid or alignment to the grid or being able to see the angles on
each corner or whatever. I am not sure how to achieve that at the moment.

Thanks