[Qgis-user] QGIS and FileGDB

Andrea Giudiceandrea andreaerdna at libero.it
Sat Mar 9 00:21:06 PST 2024

> Totò Fiandaca pigrecoinfinito at gmail.com
> Tue Mar 5 00:15:20 PST 2024

> I noticed that by modifying
> the FileGDBs created by ArcGIS PRO in QGIS:
> 1. saving is particularly slow;
> 2. I often lose data, i.e. if I have an active data selection and I try to
> update only the selection, QGIS updates the entire dataset resulting in
> data loss.

Hi Totò,
as you already know, QGIS handles ESRI File Geodatabase layer via the
GDAL/OGR library.
The GDAL/OGR library has two different drivers for the ESRI File
Geodatabase forma: the built-int driver "OpenFileGDB" [1] (which is
available on all systems) and the "FileGDB" driver (available on Windows
through OSGeo4W) which depends on the ESRI FileGDB API SDK [2].
Using which driver does the issue occurs?

How do you update the data?

I think you should inform the GDAL/OGR developers about the issue. Since
you experience the issue often, it shouldn't be so difficult to provide
a sample ESRI File Geodatabase layer and exact steps in order to
replicate the issue.

Best regards.

Andrea Giudiceandrea

[1] https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/openfilegdb.html