[Qgis-user] Problem with QGIS: Form uniform groups/clusters from a large point data set

Dr.-Ing. Maren van der Meer maren.vandermeer at rptu.de
Fri Mar 15 05:27:39 PDT 2024

Hello everyone,
I'm facing a problem that I can't wrap my head around:
I have a population dataset in the form of dots. Each point represents one inhabitant within an imaginary grid cell of 100x100 meters. For example, if there are 37 inhabitants living in one grid cell, there are 37 points on top of each other. (The data set is quite large and contains about 4 million points)
I would like to divide the point data set into groups of equal size.  It is important that the groups are really the same size. (Clustering using k-means etc. does not work for me...)
I am also faced with the problem that I would like to try out different variants of group formation. For example: Does it make a difference if I start the grouping in the north, south or west of the points? Does anyone know a (preferably automated) method of group formation?
I hope I have been able to describe my problem sufficiently and would be very happy to receive help and tips.
Kind regards,
Maren van der Meer

Dr.-Ing. Maren van der Meer
RPTU Kaiserslautern-Landau, Fachbereich Raum- und Umweltplanung
Pfaffenbergstraße 95 | D 67663 Kaiserslautern
Geb. 1, R. U28
+49 (0)631 2052084
maren.vandermeer at rptu.de<mailto:maren.vandermeer at rptu.de>