[RouterGeocoder] Dual-licensing

Daniel Kastl orkney at gmx.de
Thu Dec 4 00:08:41 EST 2008

Good evening, Dave.

Well, it might be I don't get the idea behind MIT/BSD style ideas.
Doesn't it mean that in this case ESRI for example could just use this
library without any obligations, without giving credits to the authors?

What I just hope to achieve is a way how "proprietary/commercial" is
allowed but needs a license that is (maybe) not gratis.
Well, if we don't want to charge money for this license, let's give it
for "free". Is this then like MIT/BSD?

I think, it's always difficult for OSGeo projects to find sponsors. It
could be a way to support ongoing development with such a
dual-licensing. Maybe not from the very first day, but in the future.
Why do you  think "parallel open source project" would appear if there
are two licenses? Through GPL for example there will be always a way to
use it gratis.
If someone wants to use it in closed source software, isn't it
legitimate to ask for money? ;-)
With MIT/BSD style licenses we believe in goodwill of people/companies.
That people contribute improvements or sponsor the project. I just don't
think this is the case usually.

Is there any recommendation of OSGeo on licensing?

Daniel