[RouterGeocoder] Dual-licensing

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Dec 4 08:22:36 EST 2008

I'd like to weigh in with my point of view as well ...

1. I believe the point of using the GPL is that you believe that all
software should be Free Software.  The use of the GPL to 'force'
commercial users to pay a license fee (however small) does not seem to
fit into the GPL model as I understand it.  Would it serve your
objective if ESRI decided to release their software under the GPL to
their clients so that they could incorporate your code without having
to pay your fee?  You would not get the benefit of their software
anyway (because they only have to provide the source to the folks they
redistribute to I think) and you would not get any money.  The folks
they redistribute to would (arguably) reap the benefit by having
ESRI's code available - the GPL is purely altruistic in this sense
because its use potentially makes the world a better place.

2. Part of my job is to choose the best software on which to build
solutions for our clients.  We choose primarily Open Source software
because we strongly believe that it is better value for our clients.
It can actually cost us more to use Open Source software because we
need to become involved in the community and learn the software enough
to be able to use it and effectively contribute to it when we need new
features or bug fixes.  With Open Source software, we are the support
mechanism for our clients.  If there is a license fee associated with
software, then I expect that I don't have to commit any of my
resources to doing these things because I am paying someone else to do
it.  I think this point was more eloquently made by Andrew re
commercial support options for Open Source being more important than
the license.

3. For better or worse, the GPL has a bad reputation with commercial
companies (perhaps in part because it is used like this).  For an Open
Source project to be successful, it really needs to build a community
of developers and users who support it.  If the use of GPL discourages
end users or developers from being involved, your project will not
thrive as much as it might otherwise have.

I think that commercial companies are willing to pay for the value
they get in solving a problem.  Its just that the form of payment
might not always be ca$h ... depending on the size of the company and
its business model, it may be onerous to pay a license fee but quite
acceptable to donate some portion of their developers' time to
supporting the project, or maintaining documentation etc.  If the
project markets its needs well, then companies can understand how they
can contribute (through sponsorship, documentation, coding, mailing
list participation or just plain old promotion by mentioning the
project on their web site) and I believe many will find a way to
contribute.

Cheers

Paul