[RouterGeocoder] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Discussion on Routing

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Nov 19 11:56:23 EST 2008

Daniel Kastl wrote:
[snip]
>> We really do NOT care what format the data vendors use so much as that
>> we need to understand the data model, with respect to street segments,
>> zlevels at intersections, how turn and lane restrictions are
>> represented, speeds, street directionality, etc. For example, how are
>> HOV lanes represented, emergency vehicles lanes, pedestrian paths,
>> rail or air routes represented, etc. And understanding that, how we
>> want to model, store and use that information in our routing engine.
> ... which remembers me something I wanted to mention already earlier:
> Talking about routing leads immediately to a discussion about road
> networks, roads, lanes, highway hierarchy, speed, etc.. Of course
> routing in road networks is the largest use case and it makes a quite
> abstract topic easier to explain. But there are many other types of
> networks, and I think a routing library (engine?) should also care about
> those. You agree, don't you?

I'm not sure what you are referring to. If you are referring to other
more general network analysis, then I'm not sure. There is already a
general engine for that called Boost Graph ;)

My initial goal is getting a high quality commercial grade router that
is capable of solving routed in 27-30 million edge networks in under 2
secs per request and hopefuly in sub-second timeframes. The 27-30 M
edges is approximate what Navteq has for North America or Europe. Now
having said that, I'm probably not the guy that can code that :(

I think we need to be prepared to handle things like:

1) routing for normal cars
2) routing for public transport, ie: walking, bus, train, taxis combinations
3) routing for the trucking industry
4) routing for emergency vehicles
5) making sure we handle both right/left side driving well in a single
model.

BUT for the most part these can all be handles by the same engine and
depend more on how you build your network and apply costs to it.