telascience backup plan - was Re: [SAC] xblade 14 down

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Thu Aug 6 02:41:59 EDT 2009

> I would like to bring up the backup situation of our "services"
> hosted at Telascience. We all appreciate very much the ease
> of access there and the tremendous bandwidth they offer.

I can't speak to the backup problem, but I was surprised to see
"essential" services being run on Telascience servers.  I was under the
impression these services were being used for large file downloads and
test/build environments, etc. and not necessarily for project primary
websites.

Why are our funded and "supported" hosting services (PEER1) not being
used
for mission critical website services?  Is it related to our security
policies, disk space limitations or some other issue with osgeo1/2?
Is it
something we can change to better support the projects with live
supported
machines?

I'm not questioning the rationale for Telascience hosting but just
wondering how we got here with some of the main project websites,
specifically because it looks bad.  When I speak to audiences about
"supporting our projects", then their sites
disappear for a long period, it looks like we are not doing a good
support job - even though
it's beyond our control and with best intentions.

Hope these are constructive questions we can work through together.

Tyler