[SAC] /backup/ directory on Backup-VM

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Mon Aug 23 13:55:38 EDT 2010

Hi Frank,

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:33:36PM -0400, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Martin Spott wrote:

>> I'm feeling a bit uneasy with the fact that someone has made the
>> /backup/ directory on this machine a symlink pointing to somewhere
>> below /osgeo/ and I'm going to revert this change if nobody objects.

> I object!
>
> What is wrong with this arrangement?  I made the change so that
> /osgeo/backup would be the official place, since you objected to my
> referencing /osgeo/backup when it was a sym link.

Well, this wasn't meant to be understood as "objection", I just wanted
to point out that symlinking this directory might lead to confusion,
sooner or later. But slowly I start to understand ....

> I'm trying to make a concertated effort to have our stuff under
> /osgeo on machines so it is easy to differentiate from system stuff.

....  that we're probably just having a different understanding with
respect to the meaning of a "backup" machine/server.
I'm familiar with backup servers in commercial environments - which
typically are dedicated machines to serve just this single purpose. The
"OSGeo Backup VM" instead seems more to end up as a dump site for
(partially antiquated) archives - with little understanding of what
modern backup offers ;-)

So, may I at least remove the /backup/ symlink - in order to prevent
confusion ?

Cheers,