[SAC] OSGeo archives at Nabble (Fwd: Re: Taking ownership)

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at osgeo.org
Fri Nov 11 08:06:07 EST 2011

El 11/11/11 13:24, Mateusz Łoskot escribió:
> On 10 November 2011 05:27, Alex Mandel <alex at wildintellect.com> wrote:

>>> Eli,
>>>
>>> I've been trying to stay out of this, leaving it to those with more
>>> interest
>>> though I suppose it might fall into the area of responsibility of the
>>> mailman
>>> admins (myself and Alan as I understand it).  I would prefer not using the
>>> info at osgeo.org alias for nabble admin if it is intended to be handled by
>>> others.  It is easy to set up a nabble at osgeo.org alias forwarding to
>>> whoever
>>> wants to be in charge.
>>>
>>> Ideally Alex as chair would facilitate a decision on this matter.
>>

>> I think it's best to have someone known to the community who is paying
>> attention to nabble as the primary contact. It's easy enough if they get
>> tired of it to pass it on.
>>
>> So yes, I'll propose that Mateusz should be the primary contact, and
>> that Jeff and Jorge can be admins along with anyone else from SAC who
>> would like to be.
>> [...]
>> Why don't we give everyone until next Monday(UTC) to voice support or
>> opposition + alternatives to this.
>
> The Nabble thing issue is interesting.
> I don't use it myself but I assumed it is important interface for many people
> in the Community. So, I thought it would be good to help with it,
> but it looks Nabble has not a high priority and perhaps it's too time consuming,
> thus disturbing for other tasks. Now I'm not sure if it is worth the effort.
>
> Perhaps I should propose a survey in Discuss mailing list:
> Is Nabble used at all?
> Anyone interested in helping to maintain it?
> etc.
>
> Cheers,

I think it's worth, is my first entry point to search across several
mailing list at once, to provide nice links to discussion and (at least
at gvSIG mailing lists) is the way some users post as they prefer the
"forum" look and feel.

I'm still offering myself to give a hand at any responsibility level, so
if Mateusz wants to step back and the committee agrees I can be the
contact point and admin for it. If it's a lot of effort I will for sure
come here to ask for help.

Anyway the approach of having at least two points of contact is working
well on the planet and as far as we use the alias email to notify every
action, everyone on the team (Paolo Corti, Mateusz and me at least) are
aware of pending tasks.

Best

- --
Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas