[SAC] ProjectsVM Upgrade Problem

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Thu Feb 2 02:05:02 EST 2012

Hi,
even at the risk of people telling me again, that I'm wrong, I'd like
to advertize (again) the use of the 'traditional' Debian dist-upgrade
method, which is:

Edit /etc/apt/sources.list

#~ > aptitude update
#~ > aptitude install dpkg apt aptitude  # probably add locales-all to
                                         # avoid some of the boring
                                         # perl-warnings
#~ > aptitude dist-upgrade -d            # optional but nice
#~ > aptitude dist-upgrade               # Yes to removing the running
                                         # kernel

This way I've successfully dist-upgraded more than a dozend ! Debian
systems from Lenny to Squeeze, including Xen-, VMware- and two of the
OSGeo KVM-VM's.  Just a single one, a 'physical' machine ran into
trouble after reboot because I forgot to update the custom kernel
before dist-upgrading and, as a consequence, udev was unable to
properly create the devices.

Cheers,