[SAC] Timeline for updating the OSGeo VMs?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Nov 17 13:18:14 PST 2013

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 10:10 PM, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
> IMHO, we should wait till the backup server work is done, and leapfrog these
> to Deb7 (assuming that is the new version you are mentioning).

In the first place I was thinking of Deb5 --> Deb6.

> Are you suggesting the upgrade on general principles or more a concern about
> falling behind with security fixes?

Yes.

> I'm not sure that we actively engage in
> updating for the latest security fixes.  That is something we could likely
> initiate now without a whole OS upgrade.

I actually do security fixes (manually) on all machines regularly
(those I know at least).
Still especially the trac machine is (too) old, see also
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/592

Certainly that's the tricky update here.

In general I would suggest that SAC adopts a strategy how to deal with
the VM maintenance.

Best regards,
Markus