[SAC] Timeline for updating the OSGeo VMs?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Nov 17 13:30:32 PST 2013

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 1:18 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 10:10 PM, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com>
> wrote:
> > IMHO, we should wait till the backup server work is done, and leapfrog
> these
> > to Deb7 (assuming that is the new version you are mentioning).
>
> In the first place I was thinking of Deb5 --> Deb6.

Markus,

Ah, ok.  So bringing trac.osgeo.org, and  live (really webextra) are the
two that need to be updated.

I'm still in favor of doing this after the backup server is working so we
can easily backup the VMs before an update.

The webextra VM is hopefully not too hard, but we do need to be a bit
careful with Trac since I assume we are not running the stock Trac.

The www.osgeo.org machine running ancient RHEL won't be upgraded, but
hopefully it will soon be replaced with a new web VM at OSU OSL.

> > Are you suggesting the upgrade on general principles or more a concern
> about
> > falling behind with security fixes?
>
> Yes.
>
> > I'm not sure that we actively engage in
> > updating for the latest security fixes.  That is something we could
> likely
> > initiate now without a whole OS upgrade.
>
> I actually do security fixes (manually) on all machines regularly
> (those I know at least).

Ah, cool.  It might be nice to document this procedure in the wiki with a
brief note on when it was last done, so that others could also assist.  Do
you have a sense of how frequently we ought to be doing this?  Weekly?
Monthly?

Best regards,
Frank

warmerdam at pobox.com