[SAC] Greetings and Introduction

Chris Giorgi chrisgiorgi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 14:17:41 PST 2018

Good afternoon, at wildintellect's request, I'd like to introduce myself to
the SAC.

I've been admining linux based servers since the 1990s, postgres since
PG95, as well as various and sundry other services, but have been mostly
out of it commercially since around 2000. For my personal machines, I
generally run Funtoo backed by ZFS, but have experience running many other
linux distros, as well as other Unix environments.

My current OSGeo related work involves testing gdal in various
configurations with the goal of optimizing performance and format support
while maintaining correctness and compatability. I am working to allow
multiple versions of gdal and any of the libraries it depends on to coexist
peacefully on a running system, including allowing building against any
chosen version. In doing so, I have come across projects with dead upstream
development which are in danger of disappearing and which need a home, so
dbb and I are currently working on establishing an orphanage for such
project on the osgeo gitea platform to provide a means of saving and
maintaining them going forward. I'm also working with the OSGeoLive project
to test builds and the build system going into the next release.

Feel free to let me know if there is anything I can do to assist the SA
team.

Take care,
   ~~~Chris Giorgi~~~