[SeasonOfDocs] The Good Docs Project - next steps

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 05:22:04 PDT 2019

I'm feeling pretty special to be amongst a bunch smart tech writers who
are keen create a "writing templates" project (and a quite a bit more).

Here is what I suggest we do next:

1. Over the next few weeks, lets start discussions on this
SeasonOfDocs at lists.osgeo.org email list.

2. Between us, lets articulate our vision. I suggest we bounce ideas
around on this list, and start collecting them into a Google doc that we
collectively edit. I've been getting inspired by each of you on what
this vision might be. We should think big, but make sure our first goals
are very achievable.

3. Are there any existing projects which we should join instead of
starting our own?

* Riona pointed to this project:
https://github.com/kylelobo/The-Documentation-Compendium

* Stephanie pointed to:
https://github.com/San-Francisco-Write-The-Docs/lone-writers-guide

Does anyone know the people behind these projects? We should reach out
to them. I'll be interested to hear thoughts on these projects.

Lets discuss on email over the upcoming week. Next week, lets aim to
decide if we are to join an existing project or start our own.

4. I suggest we set up a meeting next week with those of us who can make
it. Maybe:

Location 	Local Time 	Time Zone 	UTC Offset
Sydney
<https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/australia/sydney>(Australia -
New South Wales) 	Tuesday, 2 July 2019 at 8:00:00 am 	AEST
<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/aest> 	UTC+10 hours
Austin <https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/usa/austin>(USA - Texas)
Monday, 1 July 2019 at 5:00:00 pm 	CDT
<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/cdt> 	UTC-5 hours
New York <https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/usa/new-york>(USA - New
York) 	Monday, 1 July 2019 at 6:00:00 pm 	EDT
<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/edt> 	UTC-4 hours
London <https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/uk/london>(United Kingdom
- England) 	Monday, 1 July 2019 at 11:00:00 pm 	BST
<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/bst> 	UTC+1 hour
Paris <https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/france/paris>(France -
Île-de-France) 	Tuesday, 2 July 2019 at 12:00:00 midnight 	CEST
<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/cest> 	UTC+2 hours

(I can do earlier or later.)

5. A few of you were wanting to get clarifications from your
organisations about open sourcing material. I suggest letting us know
how that progresses. This might help
http://cameronshorter.blogspot.com/2018/10/the-open-business-business-case.html

6. If we decide to start our own project, we will need to set up web
pages, project structure and so on. If we join an existing project, we
will likely need to help them do some of these things. We can start in a
week or two.

Okay, over to you. Please don't be shy - share your ideas and
suggestions, and lets get this vision nailed down.

On 25/6/19 9:09 am, Riona Macnamara wrote:
> Have you seen this?

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254